History Neue Mälzerei | History | Brewery
Several set tables with chairs standing in two long rows.

From brewery to venue location

Black and white image of a large industrial site.

Founding of the Knoblauch'schen lager brewery

In June 1868, Armand Knoblauch, a lawyer from Berlin, purchased a 20,000-square-meter plot of land in front of Landsberger Tor. He founded a family brewery brewing pale, noble-hopped beer in the Bohemian style. First, the brewhouse was built on Landsberger Allee.


Picture of a share with signature on it

Construction of the Bohemian Brewery

In 1870 Knoblauch founded the limited partnership Böhmisches Brauhaus. The brewery's other buildings are erected at today's Friedenstraße 89-93. The site is ideally suited for storing the beer: Two- and three-story cellars up to 14 meters deep with 3,000 square meters of storage space are built in the loamy, cool soil.


Black and white image of a beer truck

The Bohemian Brewery expands

Since 1883, the beer has been cooled by machine, and the former ice cellars are converted into storage rooms. In 1893, the company buys the neighboring property and builds a modern, pneumatic malt house in 1898/99. In the same year, Berlin's first beer transport car drives for the brewery. With 200,000 hectoliters per year, it is one of the city's most successful beer producers.

Several set tables with chairs, standing in two rows.

Crises and new beginnings

Armand Knoblauch dies in 1905. His company is converted into a joint stock company in 1910. There are repeated fires at the Bohemian Brewery, and some buildings are damaged. In 1922, the brewery merges with Löwenbrauerei, which has its headquarters in Hohenschönhausen. Among other things, the famous "Pilsator" is brewed under the brand name "Löwen-Böhmisch": a particularly tart pilsner with lots of hops and little malt.


Run-down interior of an old brewery

The end of the brewery

The buildings of the Bohemian Brewery are badly damaged during the war. Initially, the Red Army stores food here. In 1949, the company is expropriated. Beers of the brand "Löwenbrauerei - Böhmisches Brauhaus Berlin" continue to be produced in other breweries until 1952 by a Volkseigener Betrieb of the GDR.


Two stamps side by side, one with a toadstool and the other with a little girl

Shoes, wine and sports

Until 1992, the brewery cellars are used by the "Berliner Weingroßkellerei" as the largest wine warehouse in the GDR. The "Großhandelskontor Schuhe" uses the building of the former malthouse as a warehouse. In addition, a transformer station is set up on the site in the early 1970s alongside various workshops and warehouses. The sports club "SG Empor Brandenburger Tor 1952" trains in the old brewhouse. Among other things, halls for athletics, gymnastics and ball games, rooms for table tennis and billiards, two bowling alleys and a sauna are built. After reunification, the Friedrichshain district continues to use the gymnasium.


Large brick house under a clear blue sky

The New Malthouse

The Hamburg project developers B&L Immobilien are redeveloping part of the former brewery from 1999. The Neue Mälzerei is refurbished in keeping with its status as a historic monument and converted into a modern commercial and service center. In the domes of the roof, where the malt used to be dried, a hall and five seminar rooms are created.



Stay up to date with our regularly appearing newsletter! Sign up now